Thursday, April 30, 2009

Bug or Seizure?

Today Mckenzie, Madi and I were on the couch eating grapes.  All of a sudden Mckenzie screams from the top of her lungs BUG and jumps of the coach as she is brushing off every inch of her body, then she starts rolling on the floor shaking and screaming and crying and brushing her body off.  If she hadn't screamed bug at the beginning of this unnecessary scary bug episode I would have thought my daughter was having a seizure.  After she had rolled, shook, brushed and screamed enough to get the bug off her I grabbed her and started hugging her and asked her what was wrong.  I thought she had thought she saw what looked to be a bug, but maybe it was a shadow or a lint.  I tried to convince her it was not a bug.  She was insistent that it was crawling on her arm.  After she calmed down a little I saw Madi looking at this toy that was sitting in our living room. (this toy was an outside toy that MAdi brought in a few minutes before we sat down to eat grapes)  She said there was a bug and Kenzie started screaming KILL IT MOMMY.  I picked up the toy and and talked to the little bug and then let it go outside.  So, I guess there really was a bug from the toy.  I was just so shocked at how afraid Kenzie is of bugs and how she reacted.  What do I do to toughen her up.  She literally is a wimp when it comes to bugs.  A little later that evening Mckenzie told me that she didn't ever want to play outside because there are to many bug outside.  I tried to have a little pep talk with her about bugs being are friend and we should love bugs, but I don't know if it helped any.  Any advice to get her less afraid of bugs? Maybe we should go camping for a week?  I don't know.  I wish I had her on camera I think she would win on America's Funniest home videos.  Me explaining what she did gave no justice to what I actually witnessed.

5 comments:

Hollie Hanson said...

Oh my goodness what a funny girl! I think you did great. You are such a good mom. It's so hard to keep a straight face when our tinies are so scared of little things. We once had a mayfly fly into our kitchen during dinner and both Damon and Cherry freaked! I showed them it was a nice bug. Caught it and held them then put it on the table with a drop of juice and they watched it and named it, and now bugs are our friends! Ok, except big ones and spiders. Still working on those. Sometimes it just takes a whole for them to overcome their fears. Ever taken them to the indoor place at the zoo with all the bugs?

Sarah said...

I have no advice, my kids aren't that terrified, but Laylah used to be when she was 2 or 3. It was a stage and she grew out of it, although she still doesn't like them much. She used to have nightmares and wake up screaming about bugs in her bed, crawling all over her. It was horrible, but funny at the same time. I think maybe start out with potatoe bugs, my kids love to find those, and they are fun to play with :)

Maria said...

lol. I have absolutely no advice to help your little one toughen up. However, if you do get some good advice, send it my way, so that I can give it a try. I probably would have reacted the same way :)

The Babinskys said...

THat's hilarious. She's just acting like most girls. :) Your girls are starting to look like twins. They are adorable. Your trip sounded fun. :) Chalk it up for good experience.

Sharie said...

That is so funny! It's probably how I would have reacted! Just kidding! We are looking forward to you guys coming in June! Mylie is going to LOVE your girls, I just know it! :)